Friday 14 February 2014

A Swim in a River

Ever since I was a young boy I have wanted to learn how to ride a horse.  I would always want to ride a white pony. I am learning now with Hyderabad Equestrians.

In January we went to New Zealand and I rode at Beachbrook Stables in Otaki. For our last ride we were meant to ride along the beach, but it was so windy we decided to take the horses for a swim in the river instead. Gill (the woman who owns the stables) asked us if we wanted to ride bareback. I was excited by the idea and we all rode bareback except for my Dad (apparently his horse had an uncomfortable back). We rode through the streets, along the beach and to the river by bareback.  I almost fell off when Rosa, my pony, trotted (slowly)! I was in shorts and barefoot and it was really nice to feel the horse under me.

Meeting Rosa

Rosa was naughty! Everyone and their horses got wet in the river except for Rosa. When I was walking down to the riverbank Rosa refused to go into the water. She would turn around and run back to eat grass close by. Once I was directing her into the water and she climbed onto a small island to eat the grass there! A man who was by the river with a horse even tried to catch her and bring her for a swim, but she still managed to escape.

Riding Buddy on another day. I was trying to make him stand astride the bar. We don’t have any photos from the river swim.
Finally, I rode my Mum’s horse - Buddy (almost white) - through the river. The river was deep enough that Buddy had to swim. I was amazed when coming back that the horse could hold my weight in the water.  It was awesome! We rode back very happy and content (although I was back on Rosa).

 By Sanjay  (aged 9)

2 comments: